Everyone wants to start feeling the warmth coming from the fireplace once the temperature drops. Unfortunately, you can’t just go and start laying down bricks in an apartment, but you can do the next best thing. That is, buying one of the best fireplaces for apartments to give you both ambiance and more warmth than you probably ever imagined.
- 1 Fireplaces for bedrooms – Good or Bad?
- 2 Top-rated fireplaces for small spaces
- 2.1 1. FLAME&SHADE Electric Fireplace Heater
- 2.2 2. TACKLIFE Electric Fireplace Heater
- 2.3 3. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace
- 2.4 4. Pleasant Hearth Dark Weathered Mobile Infrared Fireplace
- 2.5 5. Ameriwood Home Bruxton Electric Fireplace
- 2.6 6. Southern Enterprises Calvert Carved Electric Fireplace
- 2.7 7. Carved Electric Fireplace
- 2.8 8. PuraFlame 33 Inches Western Electric Fireplace
- 2.9 9. JAMFLY 26’’ Mantel Electric Fireplace
- 2.10 10. Ameriwood Home Bruxton Simple Fireplace
- 3 How to Install Fireplaces for a Small Room?
- 4 Safety Tips on How to Use the Best Fireplaces for Apartments
- 5 How to choose portable fireplaces for apartments?
- 6 Conclusion
Whether you’re looking to supplement your central heating or are seeking a way to warm up small living space, the best fireplaces on the market today offer a brilliant performance and innovative features. In this article, we will review the best fireplace models alongside noteworthy tips to make selection easier.
Fireplaces for bedrooms – Good or Bad?
Several scientific findings reveal the adverse health effects of breathing in smoke from wood fires in your home fireplace.
The reason is that smoke from these fires comprises tiny particles that can either penetrate your eyes and respiratory system. The consequences can be burning eyes, a runny nose, and illnesses such as bronchitis.
That said, virtually all the fireplaces reviewed in this article are EPA-certified release 80% less smoke, pollute by 90% less compared to the traditional models and models that are not EPA-certified. These get rid of the smoke and combustion by-products before they even get through your chimney.
Top-rated fireplaces for small spaces
1. FLAME&SHADE Electric Fireplace Heater
- VISUAL FEATURES will operate with or without heat - 10 flame and fuel colors - 5 flame speeds - 3 flame heights - 3 brightness levels.
- WALL MOUNTING and FREESTANDING kit included. PLEASE NOTE: This model can NOT be recessed into a wall.
- REMOTE-CONTROL operation (battery incl) - plus TIMER and THERMOSTAT. Plugs into a standard 120v 15amp power outlet.
This is one of the best electric fireplaces, as it’s pretty easy to operate. The flame and shade electric fireplace leaves you with the option to adjust the heat from 1500w to 750w.
It features a freestanding electric wood stove with practical burning logs to ensure that you enjoy all the warmth produced by this fireplace. However, the fan-forced convection heat with a base stand ensures the stability of this product.
Mind you, operating got easy with a multi-functioning remote. This makes it suitable for homes and workplaces. This lightweight electric fireplace is best used indoors and can emit heat covering up to 400ft square.
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable: made of outstanding components
- Burning log fuel bed is realistic
- Features thermostat and timer
- The dim lights will suit dark rooms
2. TACKLIFE Electric Fireplace Heater
- 【Warm Atmosphere & Highlight Ornament】TACKLIFE electric fireplace heater , using clean energy of electricity, no longer suffering from dust and smoke. 5,200 BTU heater warms up to 1,000 square feet, but cool to the touch, it is safe around kids and pets, providing a warm and comfortable family atmosphere. Fashion appearance corresponds to your home, it will be the highlight of any spaces
- 【Double Temperature Control & Energy Saving】 In order to meet your needs for temperature and advocate green environmental protection, the product is designed with two heating powers, which can be turned on by 750W or two at the same time. The maximum power can reach 1500W. Humanized design, you can turn the thermostat that the temperature can be flexibly adjusted to your needs
- 【Perfect Appearance & Lifelike Charcoal Modeling】 Lifelike charcoal model, perfect shape and design, 3D flame effect for more realistic experience. The background flame image is vivid & lively & elegant. It also have a button that adjusts the brightness of the light, so that the light could be changed according to your personal preferences. Three-sided viewing window, tempered glass on the fireplace door, sturdy & durable, clearer perspectivity. It is your perfect home decoration partner
If you are looking for a dust-free and smoke-free best for your apartment, then you should consider the TACKLIFE electric fireplace. Besides, it 5,200 BTU heater warms up to 1,000 sq. Ft. in no time. Its overall appearance will give your interior a classier look.
This fireplace is equipped with two heating powers (750W and 1500W). Besides, it features a thermostat, thus allowing for flexible adjustment of heat to suit you. However, it’s a lifelike charcoal fireplace with a perfect shape to suit your apartment arrangement.
Furthermore, it features a 3D flame effect for a more realistic view. With just a push on the button, you can easily adjust flame brightness. Its tempered glass is another fascinating feature we can’t but mention. Besides, this fireplace is CSA certified.
- Tempered glass
- Adjustable light brightness
- Can cover up to 1000 square feet
- Meets safety standard
- appearance can be improved
3. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace
- 5,200 BTU heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000 square feet to help you save money
- Patent pending 3D flame effect technology features realistic flames that dance on and behind the logs, including five adjustable color, brightness, and speed settings
- The infrared quartz heat helps to maintain the natural humidity in the air, resulting in comfortable heat without drying out the room's
Duraflame 3D electric fireplace stove is a stylish heater affecting up to 1,000 square feet. The 3D flame technology makes the log and flames realistic. Besides, it features a digital thermostat, five adjustable colours, and brightness as well as flame speed settings.
In terms of design, this electric fireplace heater has clean lines, with polished design features such as bevelled glass on both the front and side of the unit, operable door with handle and legs. Its stove-like design mimics the look and feel of a traditional wood stove fireplace and makes for stylish space heater alternative.
The only snag with this product is that Its remote control is only good for turning the heater on and off. This means you’ll have to adjust the temperature and other settings using the control panel.
- 3D flame effect technology
- Five adjustable flame colours, brightness, and speed
- Adjustable digital thermostat and timer
- Includes a remote control
- Remote can’t change the temperature
- Control panel is hard to manage in the dark
4. Pleasant Hearth Dark Weathered Mobile Infrared Fireplace
- Comes fully assembled - Just plug it in!
- Compact size is perfect for smaller spaces
- 5200 BTU heater warms up to 1000 sq. ft.
The Pleasant Hearth Sheridan Infrared Mobile Fireplace is ideal for homes, condominiums, lofts, apartments, and seasonal rooms. The first thing we are glad to reveal about this unit is the fact that it can heat up to 1000 sq. Ft. Compared to other products of the same price. This is as a result of its improved 5200 BTU heater.
Another thing we’ll like to reveal about this fireplace is the fact that you won’t need to assemble any part. It starts works just immediately. This unit has a 5200 BTU Infrared heater that quickly heats up to 1000 sq. Ft. without drying the air. Comes fully assembled, just install the optional casters and plug it in!
What’s more, it features three levels of flame brightness and five levels of heat. This is such that you can adjust to any level of brightness or heat to suit your mood or choice.
- Simple mode of operation
- Three levels of flame brightness
- Adjustable heat level
- Features a multifunctional remote control
5. Ameriwood Home Bruxton Electric Fireplace
- The Bruxton Fireplace will bring your 400 sq ft room up to the perfect temperature with its powerful heating element
- The LED technology not only provides you with a maintenance free fireplace but also offers the fireplace glow with or without the heat
- Dimensions: 22 3/4"h x 22 13/16"w x 7 5/16"d - Firebox insert dimensions: 18”h x 18"w
This is one of my all-time favourite fireplaces. Not only is it really the Ameriwood Home Bruxton Electric Fireplace stylish, but the heater is also portable. Plus, the LED technology is another interesting feature you might not get with other fireplaces of the same price and design.
It comes with the most stylish frame in the market (cherry frame), thus allowing for easy maintenance. Besides, right in the convenience of your bed, you can adjust anything on the fireplace with your long-lasting remote (50,000-hours).
This product serves the purpose of a TV stands as well. And its energy-saving technology proves how much energy you’ll still save on electricity bills. The only downside is that you still need to assemble partially, but won’t take too much time.
- Reasonably priced
- Stylish design
- Energy-saving technology included
- Remote control operated
- Needs assembly
- It only covers 400 sq. feet
6. Southern Enterprises Calvert Carved Electric Fireplace
- ELECTRIC SPACE HEATER –Produces and distributes radiant heat quickly, quietly and efficiently up to 400 square feet. A remote control separately adjusts the thermostat, timer, logs and life like flames creating a warm and cozy ambiance
- FEATURES - Ivory finish combines with elegant floral trim for soft traditional style. Classic silhouette adds style to any living room or dining room
- ENERGY EFFICIENT & SAFE – 1500 watt, 120v energy saving space heater. Safe self-regulating electric fireplace has protective glass that remains cool to the touch. The remote control comes equipped with a child safety lock
The Southern Enterprises Calvert carved white electric fireplace is a traditionally constructed fireplace with fluted columns, floral trim, brushed texture, and an ivory finish.
Apart from the fact that it’ll give you a soothing warm you desire, it can as well accommodate any item of up to 85 lbs, probably to beautify the stand-place. And its (44.5 W x 14.5 D x 40.25 tall) dimension is a moderately sized fireplace for your apartment.
It comes with a multi-coloured LED flame to give a brilliant ambience in the dark. With just the push a button, you can have the flame speed, log brightness, and temperature adjusted according to your preference. Plus, it programmable timer and automatic overheat protection are a confidence booster even when you are asleep or out of its reach.
- Unique traditional design
- Heats up to 400 sq ft
- Multifunctional remote control
- Comes with a protective glass
- Mantel can support up to 85 lbs
- No multi-speed fan
7. Carved Electric Fireplace
- ENERGY EFFICIENT & SAFE –Produces and distributes radiant heat quickly, quietly and efficiently up to 400 square feet. A remote control separately adjusts the thermostat, timer, logs and life like flames creating a warm and cozy ambiance.
- FEATURES - Traditional Mantel style with a rich Espresso Finish and elegant floral trim
- ENERGY EFFICIENT & SAFE – 1500 watt, 120v energy saving space heater. Safe self-regulating electric fireplace has protective glass that remains cool to the touch. The remote control comes equipped with a child safety lock.
The Southern Enterprise is another popular fireplace that’s gain so much recognition due to its brilliant performance and durable build at a moderate price. It comes with a unique traditional finish- a combination of high-quality Expresso finish and a brilliant floral trim.
With just a simple push on your remote button, you can easily adjust it timer, logs and life, and even thermostat. Besides, the remote control features a child lock function, thus ensuring safety with kids around.
It’ capable of generating and distributing radiant heat of up to 1500watts quickly, quietly, and efficiently up to 400 square feet at a moderate power of 120 volts. Besides, the Southern Enterprises electric fireplace has a protective glass that’s cool when you touch.
One last thing we can but discuss this product is that it can support up to 85 pounds, thus accommodating more than family photos. The only snag is the fact that it’s not pre-assembled.
- Features protective glass
- Remote control
- Unique traditional build
- Made of durable materials
- Features a metal resin glass
- Non-adjustable heat
- Assembly is needed
8. PuraFlame 33 Inches Western Electric Fireplace
- Overall dimensions: Width: 35.04" x Height: 26.99" x Depth: 8.78". For more dimension details, please refer to "User Manual" in "Technical Specification" section.
- 3 flame settings with variable intensity and brightness can be used with or without heat all year long; 100% energy saving LED technology. A sleek look with three-sided interior brick wall and clean glass front trim design, without the hassle of cleaning dust or ashes.
- Life-like resin log which is 11 13/16" high sitting on the grate above ember bed, that's just what a wood burning fireplace looks like.
Are you stuck in the middle of how to put your old fireplace to use without burning wood and cleaning up ashes? The PuraFlame 33″ Western Electric Fireplace Insert is sure, the best bet. This insert is designed to fit within your existing fireplace and turn it into a source of electric heat.
You can simply use it with brick fireplaces, and even with decorative mantels. This unit features faux logs and crystals to help beautify the look of a real fire without any dangers of real flames. The interior brick wall provides a realistic view, and the three flame options give you the opportunity to customize the view of your fireplace to suit your mood.
This unit comes with an adjustable thermostat with a minimum of 60-degrees F and a maximum of 84-degrees F, so you’ll always be comfortable. It also features a remote control but no Batteries and can heat a room of up to 400 square feet.
- Three flame options
- Gives a realistic view
- Features a remote control
- No remote battery
9. JAMFLY 26’’ Mantel Electric Fireplace
- 【Delicate Carving Craftsmanship】Made of Hard Wood material and finished in brown/black woodgrain and burnished oak stain, carved hearth base accents the intricate details of the time-honored style. Decorative side columns with above small square plus geometric line, this small Mantel fireplace is beautifully crafted in a modern and classic combination design that complements virtually any home decor fit for bedrooms, family rooms and dining rooms
- 【Perfect Small Room Decoration】With its beautifully crafted mantel, breathtaking flame effects and practical heat output, this mantel fireplace will truly become the focal point of your room! You can put the mantel piece under your TV, cabinet, book case or a decorative free standing space heater.
- 【Realistic LED Flame】 Ultra high intensity LED light, reflecting to the Life-like faux resin logs and a glowing ember bed with realistic flame effect by 3D flame technology, brings a warm and cozy ambiance to match your mood; 3 flame brightness to meet various needs according to the different atmosphere. The flame effect can the heating function can be used separately so it is able for our product to be a decorative fireplace with no heat all year round.
If you have just limited space for a fireplace, the JAMFLY ’26 is best suitable. This portable fireplace is beautifully designed to add to your room’s classy look. Plus, the sweet aroma of the flame is enough to lighten up your mood.
It is built with hardwood materials and finished with brown wood grain, thus ensuring no need for replacement in a long time. Plus, it carved hearth base gives it that modern look- it’s obvious the manufacturer has focused more on beauty followed by quality performance.
Finally, with the JAMFLY 750w and 1500w heating modes, it is easy to adjust how warm you want your room to be. Also, it comes with a remote control that enables you to change the flame effect and intensity.
- It is more authentic for rooms
- Takes less time to set up them
- Easy to use
- No assembling required
- The flame looks more realistic
10. Ameriwood Home Bruxton Simple Fireplace
- The bruxton fireplace will Bring your 400 sq. ft. room up to the perfect temperature with its powerful heating element
- The LED technology not only provides you with a maintenance free fireplace but also offers the fireplace Glow with or without the heat
- Dimensions: 22 3/4"H x 22 13/16"W x 7 5/16"D - Firebox insert dimensions: 18”h x 18"W
Ameriwood Home Bruxton Fireplace is no doubt a definition of simplicity, steering from its design to mode of operation and to maintenance. The slender (22.75″ h x 22.8125″ w x 7.3125″ d with an 18″ h x 18″ w firebox) fireplace is all you need to warm your apartments or sitting areas. Besides, it’s capable of warming up a 400 sq. Ft. room with its 120 volts of power.
What’s more, the black metal firebox insert gives a realistic flame glow with LED lights and can be displayed with or without heat- suitable for any season. Besides, the Bruxton Fireplace is made of particleboard and MDF, thus adding to its durability
Maintenance comes easy with this fireplace. Plus, it can support up to 10 lbs, perfect for your family photos. Begin to enjoy your Bruxton fireplace immediately as it has been assembled already on shipping.
- Easy to maintain
- Realistic flame
- No need for assembling
- Can cover small area
Recommended for you: Best paint sprayers
How to Install Fireplaces for a Small Room?
Before you begin the installation, see that the fireplace works perfectly correctly. Now, let’s move on to the step-by-step process of installing a fireplace.
Frame the Wall
Confirm the size of the wall opening in your installation manual guide. In most cases, it is ¼ inches larger than the firebox dimensions.
Connect To Power Supply
Virtually all built-in electric fireplaces come with a cord that you can plug into an electrical outlet. Another option is to remove the cord and hardwire the fireplace. It’s advisable that you hire a licensed electrician for this part.
Insert the Fireplace in the Opening
There’s a need for a helping hand to get this done. You need to lift the fireplace and straight into the opening.
Hold the Fireplace Firmly To the Wall with Screws
Use mounting screws to hold the fireplace firmly through the holes at the top and both sides of the unit.
Insert Decorative Media
Your decorative media depends on the fireplace model you buy. The common types are fire glass and decorative logs. Now, you can switch it on at any time once you are done with installation.
Install the Front Glass Panel
The final step is to fix the front glass panel, and there you go!
Recommended for you: Hand saw for cutting wood
Safety Tips on How to Use the Best Fireplaces for Apartments
See that smoke alarms are in perfect working condition: Smoke alarms are crucial to apartment safety. Be sure to crosscheck them once every month and replace batteries at least once a year.
Use a mesh screen: For apartment safety, always keep the screen closed when a fire is lit. If your fireplace has no built-in screen, make sure you get one that covers the front of the fireplace. Thus, keeping sparks from popping out and igniting nearby items
Keep the fireplace space clear: This is another crucial safety tip you must put into account. Anything flammable such as rugs, paper, furniture, and wood should be kept at some distance (at least 3 feet) off the fireplace.
Never ignite a fire with gas or other flammable liquids: Flammable liquids release vapors that can explode, leaving your apartment at a very high risk of fire outbreak.
Have a fire extinguisher on hand: The essence of a fire extinguisher cannot be underestimated. It helps to ensure your apartment safety.
Use the damper appropriately: The simple rule is, keep your damper open when the fire is lit and ensure to close it when the fireplace is no longer in use.
Top Pick for you: scroll saw for beginners
How to choose portable fireplaces for apartments?
A timer is one of the most important features always to check when buying an electric fireplace. The reason is that, with a timer, you can control the total time you want the fireplace to be in operation even when you are not there.
A thermostat is just like a controller. It ensures that the temperature radiates evenly and to your preference. An electric heater fireplace must have a thermostat- an adjustable one. With that, you won’t always have to switch off the heater manually.
While you are looking for an electric fireplace, you have to choose according to the display models. The newest models use LED screens while the old models use LCD technology. However, some advance fireplaces use LED screens alongside faux fire logs and crystal ember beds.
There’s no convenience in having to deal with fireplace panel before getting any adjustment done. Fireplaces that come with remote control are mostly preferred as they enable you to control at a distance. You can easily switch on/off the fireplace or change the color of the flame with just a push of a button on the remote control.
In most cases, electric fireplaces come with several effects and flame color choices depending on the type you bought. These include tall orange, blue flames, and so on. Plus, most models have 3-varied color settings that help you to light up a pleasant mood.
Safety is another factor that should never be underestimated. Since your electric fireplace generates heat, there should be a proper measure to regulate the level of heat emitted. A unit that offers overheat protection is ideal and worth your investment.
After all, it is evident that all of the above-discussed fireplaces for apartments are quite beneficial to use, especially during the cold nights and winter. They are capable of adding a lot to the overall beauty and style of your apartment. Plus, they’ll make your room stay warm each time you put them to work.
With the hope that you are now well informed, finding the appropriate fireplace for your apartment won’t be as difficult as before.